Whiskey (or "whisky") is a liquor made from many different grains, including malted barley, rye, corn, grain, and wheat. There is a variety of styles of whiskey that depend on where it is produced. However, the most important aspect of its quality comes from the aging process. Whiskey is generally stored in wooden casks for many years. During this time, it absorbs the flavors and color of the barrel, and the type of barrel, grain and length of aging can help determine its characteristics.
Varieties of Whiskey
Whiskey is made in many different competing countries and well-aged whiskeys can be very expensive. Buying whiskey online can be confusing if you do not know much about it. the different types of whiskey. Before you buy whiskey online, understand the crucial differences between whiskey produced in Ireland, Scotland, America and Canada.
Single Malt Scotch is distilled twice. The barley is dried with smoke and heat, which adds a smoky flavor to the whiskey. Scotland is well-known for its single malts. However, blended Scotch Whiskey is also common.
By comparison, Irish Whiskey is distilled three times instead of twice. It is also smoother, because the malt is dried away from smoke and flame, and the distillation process uses larger pot stills than are most common in the production of Scotch.
Bourbon Whiskey is distilled from corn and made in America. Bourbon whiskey must be made from at least 51% corn. All whiskeys sold under the name "bourbon" are always American, and these drinks are largely produced in Tennessee and Kentucky. The unique flavor of bourbon probably comes from the limestone dissolved in the water in this region of the American South, and some major American manufacturers have recently begun taking advantage of their unique flavor profiles to produce specially flavored whiskey.
Canadian Whiskey is considered lighter and smoother than Scotch or Irish Whiskeys because it almost always is a rye whiskey. Some Canadian whiskeys are labelled as "rye," even though it is not a requirement for production. Any bottle labelled "Canadian Whiskey" has been aged at least three years.
- Old Forester Straight Bourbon 86 Proof
93 Wine EnthusiastAs low as $1.99
- Johnnie Walker Red LabelAs low as $2.49
- Dewars White LabelAs low as $2.49
- Jameson Irish WhiskeyAs low as $2.99
- Jack Daniels WhiskeyAs low as $3.39
- Jack Daniels Honey LiqueurAs low as $3.49
- Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire WhiskeyAs low as $3.49
- Evan Williams Black LabelAs low as $4.59
- Johnnie Walker Black LabelAs low as $4.99
- Jim Beam BourbonAs low as $6.99
- Distillery 244 WhiskeyAs low as $8.27
- Makers Mark Whisky
92 Wine EnthusiastAs low as $10.99
- Jim Beam HoneyAs low as $10.99
- Southern Comfort 70 ProofAs low as $12.99
- Jim Beam AppleAs low as $20.99
- Wild Turkey American Honey LiqueurAs low as $21.99
- Fireball Cinnamon WhiskeyAs low as $22.99
- Bulleit BourbonAs low as $22.99
- Jack Daniels Gentleman JackAs low as $22.99
- Old Overholt Straight Rye WhiskeyAs low as $23.99