With very few exceptions, the juice from grapes is naturally clear and colorless. Red wine is produced by a process called maceration, in which the skins, seeds, and stems of the grapes remain in contact with the pressed juice, and give the wine its characteristic red color. Tiny fragments from the grapes remain in red wine after bottling, as sediment, which is why it is usually best to drink your red wines after they have been decanted and allowed to breathe.
The best red wines come from regions where the growing conditions are favorable for the particular grapes being grown there. These growing conditions include the climate and weather, the amount of daily sunlight during the growing season, temperature, soil composition, water, disease resistance, and location (altitude, proximity to large bodies of water and access to vineyards for routine maintenance and inspection for both individuals on foot and necessary equipment).
Red Wine Varieties
City Wine Cellar carries the best domestic and imported red wines come from regions where the growing conditions are most favorable. We stock a collection of the best in Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Malbec, Amarone, Shiraz (or Syrah), Chianti, Bordeaux, Rioja, Barolo, Brunello di Montalcino, Red Wine Blend, and other vintage red wines! We look forward to helping you make the best selection from our wine inventory.
If you have a question about any of the wines we carry, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- Yago SangriaAs low as $8.99
- Concha Y Toro Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon/MerlotAs low as $8.99
- Opici ChiantiAs low as $8.99
- Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet SauvignonAs low as $8.99
- Lindemans Shiraz Bin 50As low as $8.99
- Lindemans Merlot Bin 40As low as $8.99
- Lindemans Cabernet SauvignonAs low as $8.99
- Cavit Pinot NoirAs low as $8.99
- Concha Y Toro Pinot NoirAs low as $8.99
- Finca Manzanos Garnacha Rioja 2018 750ml
91 James Suckling$9.99
- Santa Carolina Pinot Noir Reserva 2018 750ml
90 Wine Spectator$9.99
- Crane Lake MerlotAs low as $9.99
- Chateau De Bon Ami Bordeaux 2017As low as $9.99
- Bamberas del Toro Cabernet SauvignonAs low as $9.99
- Crane Lake Pinot NoirAs low as $9.99
- Tavernello Montepulciano d'AbruzzoAs low as $9.99
- Fontella Chianti 2016
91 James SucklingAs low as $10.99
- Cono Sur Organic Red Blend 2018 750ml
90 Tasting Panel$10.99